On August 18, 2014, Chuck and Dianne will celebrate 60 years together. We want to honor this grand occasion over the next year by sharing memories made as a family. Please contribute by adding any memory you have of the family, doesn't have to be specific to mom & dad (grandma & grandpa). Add as much as you like and make them as short or long as you want! Think traditions, trips, girls weekends, holidays, summer nights on the patio, weddings, babies, funny stories... you get the picture! Let's remember the legacy that Chuck and Dianne have created!

Please state who is documenting the memory on the first line of the post. Thanks!

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Summer Nights At The Scera Shell

By Lauren Hales

I remember helping Grandma pop all the popcorn and pack all the snacks. Grabbing our jackets and blankets and walking down to the Scera Shell. I don't remember many of the plays that we saw, but I remember being there and loving every second of it.

Spending nights at the Scera Shell watching plays or movies is one of the memories I cherish. The past two summers Crandall, and then both Crandall and Tate, got to experience the Scera Shell with Grandma Becky and Great Grandma Tate.

The summer of 2012 we saw The Wizard of Oz. To this day Crandall will tell you that is his favorite play. Every play we have seen since gets this review, "Well, it was good, but not as good as The Wizard of Oz."


The summer of 2013 we saw Tarzan, which I thought was adorable. Tate loved it too. Crandall liked it, but "it wasn't as good as The Wizard of Oz."

 I took the boys to pick a treat to share with everyone before we got to the play. Tate chose Reese's miniature's and Crandall chose black licorice. He had tasted a black licorice salt water taffy and was convinced he was going to love the real deal. Well he didn't (as I predicted). Luckily Grandma Tate was there and he could hand his treat over to her. I don't know why, but I always thought it was so strange how much Grandma liked black licorice.


These are just more of those moments that are priceless to me. When my children get to experience the things that I loved as a child, with the people that I created those memories with, my heart is so full. I am grateful that Grandma Tate was always willing to make special traditions with her grandchildren (Scera Shell, Lagoon, Seven Peaks, Christmas Eve, Dutch Christmas, Canyon Glen, Visiting BYU, Sunday Dinner, etc.) and I am even more grateful that my mom is carrying on that legacy with her grandchildren.

2 comments:

  1. Such fun memories! I remember Scera Park before they had the Scera Shell. That area used to be a baseball diamond. We used to always climb and play in the big pine trees there as well. So fun!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Old traditions become new traditions! I look forward to this every year. And I am so glad that mom is here to enjoy the next generation enjoying fun nights at the Scera Shell!

    ReplyDelete