
I am so grateful that I was able to grow up 30 minutes from my grandparent's house. I did not realize what a blessing that was until I had kids of my own. The first feeling that surfaces when I think of grandma and grandpa is love. I LOVED going over to there house, traveling with them and just being with them. It was my home away from home. I felt like I could just be myself and that they loved me for me. I am continually grateful for the traditions that they started that I hold dear to my heart, such as: Dutch Christmas, hunting for easter eggs, homemade sherbert ice cream in the summers, fireworks on the hill for the fourth, plays at the scera shell, Tate family reunions, swinging on the swings in the backyard, playing peons, doing puzzles, Nat King Cole during Christmas, playing Boggle (even with no chance of winning), everyone napping after Thanksgiving dinner, hanging out with my cousins. I know there is more to the list but my brain can't recall it all at once. I learned about loving family relationships in their house. I grew to appreciate being with extended family. My children love to go over and a special fondness for their great grandparents. They always ask when we're going to grandma Tate's house while we are in Utah.
Their house holds a special place for me. After my mom died, I struggled to feel like I had a "home" to go to. My dad's new house had no memories of my mother and it was hard to feel comfortable there. Yet, to this day, going to grandma's house is like going home for me. It warms my heart, lightens my burdens and lifts my soul. I have no doubts that the love my mother showed me is directly tied to the love she felt from her parents. Grandma, you are one of my most favorite people in the world! I cherish my relationship with you. I strive to follow the example you have shown me of love and intentional relationships. My deep feelings of love for you were not by chance but by your intentional acts of love and kindness throughout my life. To know you is to love you and I cannot express even a portion of my gratitude for all that you have done to help me become ther person and mother that I am today. I love you dearly!
Love, Jamie, Adam, Steven, Noah, Rachael and Thomas
No comments:
Post a Comment