On August 18, 2014, Chuck and Dianne will celebrate 60 years together. We want to honor this grand occasion over the next year by sharing memories made as a family. Please contribute by adding any memory you have of the family, doesn't have to be specific to mom & dad (grandma & grandpa). Add as much as you like and make them as short or long as you want! Think traditions, trips, girls weekends, holidays, summer nights on the patio, weddings, babies, funny stories... you get the picture! Let's remember the legacy that Chuck and Dianne have created!

Please state who is documenting the memory on the first line of the post. Thanks!

Monday, September 16, 2013

The House that Love Built

By Becky Ahlberg

623 South 500 East, Orem, Utah

To most people that address is one of millions.  But to a select few, a blessed few, it means love, security, laughter, tears, faith, and family!


 
 
Mom and dad bought this house in 1960, the year that I was born, 53 years ago.  It is the house of my childhood.  It is the house where I know I am loved and welcomed.  It is the house that I would come home to everyday after school and call out, "mom," and always get an answer of, "I'm right here."  And that was all I needed.  It was and is my place of security and safety.  I know that I am blessed to still be able to go "home" and visit mom and dad.  And, although life has taken me on a roller coaster ride, this home and my loving parents and siblings have been my North Star through it all.
 
   
 
I think it's safe to say that I am not the only one who feels this way.  Has life in this house and the people in it been perfect?  No, but perfection does not create a family.  Love does - through good and bad.  And this house was built by love. 

2 comments:

  1. Definitely not the only one who feels this way. There is a definite comfort when I pull into mom and dad's driveway. I remember when mom and dad thought about selling it and buying something smaller and easier to maintain. I was shocked at how upset I was at the thought of selling this home. It isn't the home, but all the memories and love that it represents. I truly hope that I can build that some kind of home built on love for my kids. And I am eternally grateful that my kids have experiences and memories of this home and mom and dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this house. Even though I didn't live there as a child, I did live there for a little while ;) It was also the place that I lived for many weeks out of the summer growing up. It holds a very special place in my heart. I hope with all of my heart that the home Drew and I build for our children will be as special to them as Grandma and Grandpa's home is to me.

    ReplyDelete